Friday, September 16, 2011

Steady as she goes

Dads state is not much different today. He is still off dialysis, but his creatinine and BUN numbers are rising. At this point they are close to pre surgery levels and he is making sufficient urine that they are not inclined to restart dialysis. Apparently they are going to do another EEG. This one over a 24 hr period. However what the nurse is unable to tell me is what they will learn from this that they were unable to learn last week. The best she could do is tell me this one was longer (this one goes to 11), but beyond that not much. So I'm escalating trying to get more information. While the nurses are helpful in giving me he daily numbers and procedures they don't seem to have a very long term view or even a medium term view. My email to he VAD coordinator has not been returned. One of the doctors, however made the mistake of calling me from his cell phone to get permission for something while I was there. So I have texted him in an attempt to get some answers. He texted me back and promised to call this afternoon. This is the hardest thing about not being there. Being present means you can buttonhole the doctor you see in the hall. Here you are dependent on them contacting you. You thus lose the initiative and things become much more disjointed. Hopefully I will get more answers when the doctor calls. No one has yet used the term coma, though the nurse said today while perhaps not officially diagnosed, it sure resembled one.

No comments:

Post a Comment